Joseph Romanoski is a lawyer in our commercial litigation group in Vancouver. Joseph’s litigation practice includes complex corporate and commercial, construction, restructuring and insolvency, realization, and commercial and residential real estate matters.
Joseph is results-oriented and brings with him a broad range of litigation experience in areas including corporate and commercial, securities, bankruptcy and insolvency, debt recovery and realization, construction, defamation, intellectual property, and commercial and residential real estate. Joseph represents and advises a wide variety of clients, including public and private business organizations, directors and shareholders, secured and unsecured creditors, insolvency professionals, commercial and private lenders, corporate debtors, commercial landlords, commercial and residential real property purchasers and vendors, and developers.
Joseph is a member of the Law Society of Alberta and the Law Society of British Columbia and has successfully represented his clients in all levels of court and various administrative tribunals in both Alberta and British Columbia.
Joseph’s experience includes:
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Representing and advising individuals and private and public corporations in corporate disputes, including takeover battles, shareholder disputes, and governance issues;
- Representing and advising individuals and corporations in connection with contract disputes, trust claims, civil fraud and conspiracy, and breach of confidence;
- Representing and advising individuals with respect to allegations of breach of fiduciary duty;
- Representing and advising private and corporate clients on security realization and debt enforcement;
- Representing and advising clients with respect to business defamation claims; and
- Successfully obtaining and defending injunction applications.
Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Representing and advising clients with respect to complex proposal proceedings under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and Companies Creditors Arrangements Act, including with respect to vesting orders and sale of distressed assets, and lifting the stay of proceedings;
- Representing and advising clients with respect to the appointment of Receivers; and
- Representing and advising corporate clients with respect to the seizure and sale of assets and foreclosure proceedings, including successfully navigating clients through foreclosure proceedings in respect of multimillion dollar commercial real estate assets.
Real Estate Litigation
- Representing and advising clients such as developers, owners of land, purchasers, and strata corporations in development matters, contract disputes, leasing matters, strata property disputes, nuisance claims, and collapsing deals.
Joseph also has experience in corporate and commercial law, advising businesses in a variety of industries and preparing and negotiating contracts on their behalf. This broad range of experience allows Joseph to provide his clients with unique litigation and dispute resolution perspectives and strategies in order to deliver results efficiently and effectively.
Joseph regularly contributes to law publications, including Whitelaw Twining’s Commercial Litigation Blog and is a co-author of the Real Property Chapter of the Continuing Legal Education of B.C.’s Annual Review of Law and Practice publication. Joseph has presented on a variety of topics for clients, and is the current leader of Whitelaw Twining’s Insolvency practice group.
When he’s not tirelessly advocating for his clients, Joseph spends time with his family and friends, both here in Vancouver and in Calgary. You can find him running, cycling, hiking and playing volleyball in the summer, and up in the mountains to ski and snowboard in the winter.
J.D., Thompson Rivers University, 2015
B.A. (Honours), Mount Royal University, 2012
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
Called to the British Columbia Bar in 2017
Called to the Alberta Bar in 2016
Member of the Canadian Bar Association
Member of the Calgary Bar Association
Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
Member of the Law Society of Alberta