Raj’s focus is complex corporate and commercial litigation. He has represented clients in a wide variety of industries, including technology, gaming, banking, hospitality, auto and entertainment.
Raj’s experience includes acting for: public and private companies in corporate disputes and class actions; developers, mortgage brokers, and agents in real estate disputes; national organizations and local entrepreneurs in intellectual property disputes; and institutional and individual clients in defamation and crisis management.
He has acted as lead counsel at all levels of Court in British Columbia, and co-counsel in the Supreme Court of Canada.
Raj is also dedicated to providing pro bono legal representation to those in need.
- Class Action Defence: Defence counsel in a number of class actions proceedings, including securities and product liability.
- 1704604 Ontario Ltd. v. Pointes Protection Association, 2020 SCC 22; Bent v. Platnick, 2020 SCC 23: Co-counsel for a coalition of interveners at the Supreme Court of Canada in two appeals heard together by the Court interpreting legislation aimed at strategic lawsuits against public participation (SLAPP).
- Russell v. Synex International Inc., 2019 BCSC 34: Co-counsel for dissident shareholders in a successful and precedent setting decision on the use of blank proxies and the interpretation of national securities regulations.
- Confidential client: Representing the lead defendant in a nationally publicized defamation claim intersecting the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, artistic freedom, and institutional responses to claims of sexual misconduct.
- Confidential client: Representing a founding shareholder and director of a lending company in a complex dispute between the company and certain minority shareholders involving claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and oppression.
- Northwest Organics, Limited Partnership v. Fandrich, 2019 BCCA 309: Appellate counsel for a successful respondent in an appeal of a damages award in defamation.
- Confidential client: Representing a prominent hospitality brand in a licensing and trademark dispute.
- Confidential client: Advising a production company in its dispute with an internationally recognizable actor in the wake of a scandal.
- Confidential client: Representing the Vendors in a Share Purchase Agreement in a successful settlement of a multi-million dollar dispute between the Vendors and the Purchaser over the post-closing adjustment amount.
JD, Dalhousie University, 2015
B.A. Political Science and Government, University of British Columbia, 2012
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
Called to the British Columbia Bar in 2016
Board Member of the Law Students’ Legal Assistance Program
Past Board Member of Pivot Legal Society
Pro Bono Counsel for Access Pro Bono
Member of the Canadian Bar Association
Presenter, “Arbitrator Conflicts,” ADR Institute of Canada National Conference, November 2019
Co-author, “Wait! What about that conflict of interest?” The Advocate, July 2018
Author, “The Worth of Land in Words,” British Columbia Real Estate Law Guide, LexisNexis Canada, February 2018
Recipient of the Pivot Legal Society’s Access to Justice Award in 2018
Recipient of the Henry B. Rhude Memorial Prize in Secured Transactions from the Schulich School of Law in 2015