Ted practices insurance defence with an emphasis on large loss and construction matters. Ted has acted for multiple insurers at all levels of Court in Ontario and Alberta as well as various administrative tribunals including the Subdivision Development and Appeal Board, the Financial Services Commission of Ontario and Disciplinary Court, Millhaven Institution.
Ted has also worked for a number of insurers both as In-House Counsel and Claims Manager providing him with a unique insight and ability to understand the needs and requirements of his insurance clients.
Ted was previously a member of the Law Enforcement Review Board for 9 years, sitting as a panel member, often as panel chair, hearing appeals regarding disciplinary matters involving police officers in Alberta. This included hearing and evaluating evidence and writing decisions. Over the 9 years, Ted heard over one hundred matters and gained extensive adjudicative experience.
Ted’s practice also encompasses coverage matters and acting as mediator or arbitrator in a variety of disputes to assist parties in reaching resolution.
Representative Work Experience:
- Appeared at all levels of Court in Ontario and Alberta including the Alberta Court of Appeal
- Acted as Defence Counsel for Dentists and other professionals in negligence claims
- Acted as Defence Counsel in various large construction loss matters including building envelope, systems malfunctions and other construction deficiencies
- Successfully brought summary judgment application in coverage defence matter
- Acted as full time duty counsel in the Criminal Courts in Metropolitan Toronto
- Mediated a variety of motor vehicle accident files
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1991
B.A., Queen’s University, 1987
Lincoln Agricultural College, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, 1982-1983
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
Called to Ontario Bar 1993
Called to Alberta Bar 1997
Member of Calgary Bar Association
Past Executive, Insurance Law South, Canadian Bar Association
Canadian Bar Association
Volunteer Evaluator, Bar Admissions Course, Alberta
Member of Legal Committee, Canadian Ski Patrol
Past Legal Advisor, Trailswest Hockey
Executive, Alberta Collaborative Resolution Association