For over 30 years, John has been an integral part of Whitelaw Twining’s general insurance litigation practice. He has a wealth of experience at all levels of the British Columbia court system in virtually all areas of practice be it property, bodily injury, construction, or professional liability related disputes. As counsel, he leads strategies for clients dealing with casualty, construction and surety claims.
John practices as appellate counsel and as a mediator and continues to provide advice to our surety clients. John has mediated a variety of legal disputes including moderate to catastrophic bodily injury claims, insurance coverage disputes, construction, real estate and professional liability claims as well as landlord tenant disputes.
John brings a pragmatic approach to solving problems. He will work relentlessly to resolve disputes at mediation and when required will continue to do so post mediation. He is tenacious, direct and effective.
When not mediating, John enjoys jogging—he’s run six marathons and an ultramarathon. You’ll find him on the slopes in the winter and hitting the golf course in the summer.
Introductory Mediation Programme, Justice Institute of British Columbia, 2015
“Mediating the Litigation Case”, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Peperdine Law, 2015
LL.B., McGill University, 1981
B.C.L., McGill University, 1981
B.Comm. (Business Administration), Concordia University, 1976
B.A. (Economics), Concordia University, 1975
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
- Called to the British Columbia Bar in 1982
- Associate Member of The Surety Association of Canada
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association Civil Litigation, Construction Law and Insurance Law Sections
- Surety Bonds as part of a Comprehensive Risk Management Program, February 2015
- Surety Claims, Evolving Trends and Practical Considerations, February 2013
- Overview of Substantive Changes to the Insurance Act (B.C.), February 2010. Co-Author with John A. Vamplew and Robert B. Lilly
- Subrogation: Basic Principles, Emerging Trends and Practical Considerations, February 2006. Co-Author with John A. Vamplew and Sean R. Lerner
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Canada from 2012 – 2021 (Insurance Law & Construction Law)
- Martindale Hubble Peer Review – Distinguished Rating
- Recognized by the British Columbia Chapter of the Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals as a leader in the areas of civil/commercial mediation