Our dedicated team of lawyers advise all types of stakeholders impacted by corporate restructuring and insolvency situations. The team, led by John Fiddick, has the depth of knowledge and experience to protect our clients’ interests and minimize risk.
We work closely with our clients to understand their needs, priorities and goals. We understand both the legal and business considerations involved when a company experiences financial difficulties in an often complex, fast-paced landscape. The team has the technical skills and expertise to help clients achieve the best possible outcomes and effective solutions.
Our clients include secured and unsecured creditors, corporate debtors, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, monitors, commercial landlords, investors and other stakeholder groups. We have wide-ranging sector expertise including: real estate, retail, construction, mining, aviation, hospitality, financial services, cannabis and technology.
Our lawyers engage in a wide range of insolvency litigation, workouts and restructurings including:
- Restructurings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangements Act (CCAA)
- Restructurings and insolvencies under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA)
- Court officer appointments, including receivers, bankruptcy trustees and monitors
- Enforcement of security
- Commercial foreclosures
- Cross-border restructuring & insolvency proceedings
Our lawyers have acted for:
- the trustee in bankruptcy for a major regional fashion business with several locations
- commercial landlords in multiple bankruptcy proposal proceedings commenced by insolvent tenants
- a substantial motor vehicle dealer in proposal proceedings under the BIA
- a secured creditor in bankruptcy proceedings related to an insolvent zinc mining operation
- multiple creditors in the EncoreFX bankruptcy/CCAA proceedings
- multiple creditors in the BC Currency Exchange bankruptcy and receivership proceedings
- Canada’s largest surety company in multiple proceedings in several provinces relating to insolvencies of various general contractors
- an insolvent cannabis company in proposal proceedings under the BIA