Patrick is a senior results-oriented securities and corporate-commercial litigator. Patrick regularly represents brokers, brokerage firms, executives, professionals, directors and officers of private and public companies, shareholders and other business people with legal matters involving the capital markets before all levels of court, securities and regulatory tribunals (the British Columbia Securities Commission, IIROC, FICOM, Insurance Council and the insurance Council as examples). Patrick leads Whitelaw Twining’s Securities Law Group.
Prior to joining Whitelaw Twining, Patrick spent just under 20 years as a partner at a small boutique litigation firm he helped found.
- Early in his career, Patrick represented the Executive Director of the British Columbia Securities Commission and staff of the Insurance Council
- Representing and advising corporations, individuals and registrants in Hearings before the BC Securities Commission, IIROC, FICOM, the Registrar of Mortgage Brokers, the Insurance Council, the Real Estate council and the Law Society
- Negotiating resolutions to complex regulatory matters
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Representing and advising corporations and individuals in corporate disputes including takeover battles and shareholder disputes
- Representing individuals and corporations in connection with contract disputes, trust claims, defamation claims, civil fraud, shareholder disputes, governance issues, as well as complex multi-party litigation.
- Representing individuals and corporations in allegations of breach of fiduciary duties
- Successfully obtaining and defending injunction applications.
Patrick is a passionate childhood cancer research advocate. Patrick is a founder of the team Finn Foundation, Chairman of the Board of Childhood Cancer Canada. In 2019, Patrick was awarded the Exceptional Leadership in Patient Involvement in Cancer Research and the Governor General’s Sovereign Medal for Volunteers. Patrick is also a member of several national and international scientific teams committed to advancing innovate treatments to change the face of cancer research nationally and internationally.
Patrick enjoys spending time with his family, getting on his bike as often as he can and singing badly.
L.L.B., University of British Columbia, 1995
B.A. (Honours), Carleton University, 1991
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
Called to the British Columbia bar in 1996