We advise on all aspects of hull, cargo, passenger, equipment and property claims related to marine, trucking, aviation and rail. We regularly act for motor and marine carriers, fixed wing and rotor operators, pilots, aircraft maintenance engineers, intermodal shippers, motor coach and bus companies, municipalities, railroads, school districts, freight system manufacturers and operators, NVOCCs, freight forwarders and warehouse operators.
We have effectively resolved hundreds of transportation matters involving catastrophic and large loss personal injuries and property damage, and insurance, indemnity and subrogation issues. Because of our experience in insurance, we are uniquely equipped to help transportation clients in disputes involving coverage. We have established a network of expert witnesses and consultants, giving our clients an important advantage in complex cases.
Our Transportation Group regularly holds training and continuing education seminars for our clients. Many of our lawyers are also active in professional associations, including the Marine Insurance Association of British Columbia, Chamber of Shipping, British Columbia Trucking Association, Maritime Section of the Canadian Bar Association, Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters, the Aviation Insurance Association, the Canadian Bar Association’s National Air and Space Law Section, the International Aviation Women’s Association, and Canadian Transport Lawyers Association.
- Transportation documentation, including bills of lading, transportation contracts, invoices, and owner-operator leases
- Personal injury and wrongful death
- Freight loss and damage claims
- Insurance coverage analysis, claims processing, negotiations and litigation
- Catastrophic aviation accidents
- Marine and inland marine cargo defence and subrogation
- Maritime liens
- Aviation and maritime collisions
- Environmental spills
- Product liability and salvage claims
- Carriage of goods claims
- Multi-modal commercial litigation
- Arresting ships
- Ship repair and construction disputes